A tempered glass screen protector shields your phone screen from scratches and prevents your screen from wearing down over time. But, lint and hair can get stuck between your phone and the screen's protective adhesive side. This can form a bubble in the screen protector and make it look like your screen is chipped. You might be tempted to clean the adhesive side of the screen protector with a microfiber cloth. But, this will just spread the dust across the screen protector.
Here are two ways to clean the sticky side of your tempered glass screen protector:
1. Clean with tape:
This method works well if only a few areas of your screen protector are covered with dust.
What you’ll need:
- Packing tape or office tape
- Microfiber cloth
- Clear a space on your table. Wipe down the area so no additional dust gets on your screen protector.
- Wash your hands. This will remove natural oils that will smudge your tempered glass screen protector while you are trying to clean it.
- Remove the tempered glass screen protector from your phone.
- Roll four pieces of tape into a circle with the adhesive side facing outward. Stick these pieces of tape to the non-sticky side of the phone screen. Use the tape to attach the phone screen to the table. This will make sure the screen protector does not lift from the table when you are removing strips of tape to peel off the dust.
- Place strips of tape across the screen protector and peel them off to remove the dust. Continue doing this until you have covered and peeled off tape from all the areas that have dust.
- Clean the non-adhesive side of your screen protector with a microfiber cloth.
- Place the screen protector back on your phone.
2. Cleaning with soap and water:
If most of the screen protector is covered with dust, use this method.
What you’ll need:
- A bowl of soapy water
- A hair dryer or fan
- Clean an area next to your sink for you to place your screen protector.
- Wash your hands so you do not smudge the screen protector.
- Add a few drops of soap to a bowl of water. Use hand soap; do not use bleach or other harsh chemicals.
- Use the sink to run a gentle stream of water over the sticky side of the screen protector.
- Pour the bowl of soapy water over the screen protector.
- Gently scrub the area where dust has collected if necessary.
- Run more fresh water over the screen protector to wash off the soap. You may need to run water over your phone multiple times to completely clean off the dust.
- Use a hair dryer or fan to dry the screen protector.
- Once your screen protector is completely dry, place it back on your phone.
Learn How to Put on an iPhone X Tempered Glass Screen Protector and How to Remove a Tempered Glass Screen Protector.